From Our Secretary

The current membership for the year stands at 386. There were 34 attendees at the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, NM, that were provided a free 2000 membership for being first time attendees. Over 50 packages of the booklets on What Every GMC Owner Should Know, Air suspension, Separating Hot from Cold, The Ignition System and Onan Operation were sent to all new members. An additional 15 orders at $4 each were received from current members. Any members wishing these booklets should send their order to the secretary.

General Membership Meeting - April 26, 2000
President Brousson opened the meeting by recognizing the five past presidents who were in attendance. Motions accepted the Secretary's and Treasurer's reports.
Bob Blenkinsop gave his FMCA report covering the recent meeting. The report included discussion of the California enforcement of the forty-foot motor home limit and legislative lobbying for the possible trade off of a special RV driver's license. Additional points covered included the requirement for breaking systems and breakaway brakes for towed vehicles over 1500 lbs. Good Sam provides a good summary of current requirements in their Campground Guide book. Everyone towing was urged to check for local state requirements.
Marilyn Harvey covered the future roundup status. President Brousson called for a volunteer to replace Marilyn.
A show of hands indicated that a potluck evening was desired by a majority of the attendees.
A discussion and series of motions regarding joint and coordinated rallies with GMC International took place. A motion to have a member vote on coordinated rallies carried. A motion to not have joint rallies failed. A motion that the President and Board of Director explore having a joint rally carried.
President Brousson called for volunteers to help set up the sound system at roundups and also a group to help establish written web site guidelines.
A series of motions and discussions took place regarding the disposition of surplus or deficit funds associated with roundups. A motion was made and seconded to amend the club policies to require refunds of any rally surplus over $20 per coach. An amendment was carried that attendees be assessed up to $20 for any roundup with deficit. The amended motion failed. A motion was made to cap the fund held within the treasury to $20,000 above annual operating expenses with the excess to be refunded. Motion failed. The meeting adjourned at 5:10 P.M. to allow happy hour to begin.
Frank Condos

Redwood Millennium Roundup Report
Shazam! We asked for help with the Rally Report section of this newsletter at the last roundup, and the response was overwhelming. Each report below is from a different perspective, so enjoy all of them. We think they are all great! Let us thank our assistant roundup masters Al and Miki; they did a fantastic job.

From Al Singleton
Where do I begin? At the beginning, of course! John Stegeman assembled his Parking Crew from the early arrivals. The potluck that the ladies assembled was a collection of dishes that seemed to please every one both in quality and variety.
The facilities provided by the Fairgrounds worked very well for us in both non-tech and technical seminars. Our sound equipment (some new, some not so new) seemed quite adequate for the buildings. Breakfasts in the Home Arts were very good. Jeanette's Country Cooking surprised us on the third and fifth mornings with mouth-watering hot breakfasts, even though she had contracted for continentals all 5 days. Her three evening meals were excellent as well. One was choice of regular or vegetarian lasagna, one was 1/2 a chicken barbequed and the third was barbequed tri-tips. All were delicious. Their private marinade was put on sale at breakfast the last morning, and it was outstanding!
Co-operation from everyone was the best ever. The Fairgrounds office and staff were quite flexible and helpful. All handicap parking was on pavement with 50-amp power and water. Also, restrooms in two adjacent buildings were kept open around the clock. Fetzer Winery gave the most complete tour ever from vines to cooperage to sales room.

The Sun House Museum tour was on a normally closed day, giving our participants the most personal service possible. It got rave reviews as did the Botanical Gardens' tour. Weather was cool at night (good sleeping) with mostly "shirt sleeve weather" during the days. It did mist a bit, the day of the Gardens' tour, but it was a minor problem - and the lunch was well liked at the Sun House and the Gardens!
All seminars were very well received with good participation. I observed the grandchildren from a couple of coaches involved with Dorothy Shumway's "Spring Rolls" cooking seminar! We were able to locate all the Bingo "stuff" and had about 60 players at the games. The CHP Officer was very good on laws governing motorhome operation. She was both entertaining and enlightening. Jerry Jardine gave a very good seminar on Exhaust Systems. Bud Bronson and Chuck Aulgur did a great demonstration on "Leak Checking your Coach". Duane and Billie Simmons each did a great job with "New Owners" seminars. The re-vamped "Ask the Experts" worked exceedingly well, also.
I regret that we must report the passing of Roy Platz the last day of the rally. He and Ellamae did an outstanding job of assembling one of the best of the 19 rallies we have attended. His gifts of time, talents and money to this club over the years have contributed much for all of us. He will be greatly missed.
I thank all of you that attended. You make the rally. We thank you for the multiple assistances those of you present gave to Miki and me. It wouldn't have been nearly so much fun without that help, and please, help us to thank Ellamae for all their excellent arrangements.

From our Readers

From Al Chernoff
Over 70 coaches filled the fairgrounds of Ukiah with a colorful assortment of GMC's. From parts of the US and Canada, old friends renewed friendships, and new members found new friends. The weather was delightful and many of the days were blessed with warm morning and sunny skies.
A problem with one of the front wheels on a coach turned into a hands-on demonstration of wheel removal, bearing packing, and the replacement of a shock absorber. We all looked and learned what it was to see real work being done, and with so many chiefs offering advise, it was good to see one worker (the coach owner) work while the rest of the supervisors observed and provided valuable assistance. Like many owners who ask to remain anonymous, it seems coach owners are eager, willing and delighted to help another GMC in trouble.

For those interested in the finer aspects of good cooking, many attended a great presentation on the preparation of spring rolls. What was even better than learning to make them was the pleasure that came from eating the results.
Some went on long morning walks, even though they had to get up at 7am. Many delighted in taking a trip to a solar research farm; some went on a tour of botanical gardens while another group had a great wine tour.
With warm skies, little rain, great company, and good food, it was easy being at the roundup, but hard to say goodbye. Until the next roundup, hope those who could not attend will put the next roundup on their calendars for the fall.

From Dallas Jensen
I arrived two days early and as usual found a good number of coaches already there; I wonder how early I would have to come to be the first to arrive. After all the hype about being among the giant redwoods, I was a little disappointed. All I could see around Ukiah were ordinary trees that can be found anywhere. I did find what I was expecting after the roundup when I was headed north on US101, so I got some pictures of them for the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. It sure makes me feel tiny and insignificant (like an insect) when I stand among the giant redwoods.
The roundup was great. I always look forward to the Potluck Dinners, and as usual I ate too much. There was talk of discontinuing the Potluck Dinners, and I guess we can live without them if we have to. All the catered dinners were outstanding. Now I'll have to starve myself to shed the excess pounds.
I can't speak for the tours as I did not go on any of them. I did attend many of the seminars, I found them all very interesting. I have been attending these seminars for about ten years now, and I never fail to learn something every time I listen to them. It was good to see about a dozen first timers at the roundup. They really get a lot of good information, and I enjoy visiting with them. One seminar, by a female CHP, gave an interesting rendition of how to "Be Happy, Don't Worry" and stay out of trouble as we travel in our GMCs in the state of California.
And speaking of GMCs, at the open house I saw two very unique, one of kind GMCs. The first was a GMC with a GM 6.5 liter turbo diesel engine, and it also has a diesel generator in place of the Onan. This was done by Bill Hubler of Caldwell, ID. He has only had his GMC two years; this was its maiden voyage. He said it looks like it will get about 14-15 MPG and it climbs mountains like a mountain goat. He is looking for a Hydro Boost brake system as the small vacuum pump on the engine just isn't up to the task.

The second unique GMC was one with a slide out and a driver side door. You have to see this to believe it. This was done by Manuel "Manny" Trovao of San Jose, CA. He has also constructed a 1,000 lb tow car (with a VW Bug engine) that he can, by himself, lift the front end off the ground.
It was with great sorrow that, at the roundup, we learned of the passing of Roy Platz. He was the Roundup Master and was responsible for much of the roundup before the cancer he had returned with a vengeance and took his life. Our sympathy goes out to his wife Ellamae and his family. He will be remembered. Our thanks to Alan & Miki for taking over as roundup masters and putting on a great rally.

From Nancy Pettit:
Another great rally! Thanks to Roy's and Ellamae's previous planning, the Redwood Millennium Roundup went off without a hitch. Roy would be pleased to know that we all enjoyed ourselves to the fullest.
The Sun House tour was very well done and most interesting. The Grace Hudson house was extraordinary as was the museum and, of course, our luncheon was superb! Our Native American professional weaver explained the basket making process with flair and expertise. I never knew there was so much in the preparation and making of a basket. Now I know why some sell for thousands.
The Fetzer Winery tour was, without a doubt, the best winery tour I have ever taken…and I have seen quite a number of them! We had a wine tasting and an "aroma testing." We actually had a snuffing contest to see how great we were at identifying aromas. The Fetzer grounds were beautiful, and our hosts more than knowledgeable.
There was a slight drizzle at the Botanical Gardens but that didn't hinder our walk up and down the paths to marvel at the rhododendrons and the plants that bloomed everywhere. Walking through "fern alley" was like it must be in the rainforest.
Many thanks go to our "volunteer" fashion models (Freddi, Phyllis, Marie, Greta, Marilyn and Barbara) who looked just great in fashions by Weekender presented by Linda Jo Williams.
And finally, a special thanks to Dorothy Shumway for presenting "Spring Rolls" after receiving just a few weeks' notice. You know you're working with a great group when you can count on someone like her at the last moment.
See you in Newport.

From Chuck Aulgur
The roundup ended on a somber note as we were notified of the unfortunate passing of our good friend, long time member, and Roundup Master: Roy Platz. He left our club in style, as he did a fabulous job of making all the previous arrangement for the great roundup location at the Fairgrounds, the excellent facilities for holding the club activities, a lot of wonderful food, and some great optional tours to local attractions. There is no way we could thank Roy and Ellamae enough for the great effort they put forth for our club in arranging a wonderful roundup under some very trying circumstances. We will all miss Roy and we wish the best for Ellamae. We also owe a great deal of thanks to Miki and Al for picking up the ball and assuring that everything went off as planned.

Previous Page

Next Page

Home

Pictorial

NewsLetters