Fall 2001 Mariposa Roundup Report

From Lillian:
Another great time was had by all. The weather came through for us as we were able to enjoy an Indian Summer spell of weather while we took over the Mariposa Fairgrounds for an unforgettable week of fun and frolic, outstanding food, great camaraderie, technical seminars, GMC interior updating seminars, craft workshops, museum tours, side trips to Yosemite and Bass Lake, good ole music, drinkin' cold stuff out under the trees at the Swap Meet and exploring the Gold Country of California.

Outdoor Museum - Stamp Mill in Mariposa

Side Trip to Yosemite Valley

Evening on Bass Lake

Peddler's Faire Swap Meet

Need I mention those Joker and Marble and domino games complete with tournaments, the repairs and windshield installations provided by Jim Bounds and dash re-do by Mc McNeil and shopping the stores of quaint Mariposa? Even Pat Cerrina behaved himself as he was kept so busy volunteering he didn't have time to slip into one of his usual seductive red or black lingerie creations! Maybe I missed that traditional event (Pat seems to come up with the most wild and crazy outfits when surrounded by good GMCers having a good time) as I can't seem to be everywhere at the same time, which I need to do when writing a Roundup Report. All right, I'll admit I never could be everywhere at the same time, but I was trying to play on your sympathy so someone would feel sorry for me and volunteer to be a Roundup Reporter. Any takers?

As one of the co-hosts/Roundup Masters I was overwhelmed with the kindness of people so willing to pitch in and help whenever the need arose. We never had to ask for help as things seemed to get done while we were having a good time. Remember the last night when all who volunteered were rewarded with little thank you gifts? It seemed as if everyone had done something. Freddi Condos bought, begged for and wrapped all those gifts. She was also rattlin' those pots and pans at every meal in the kitchen. Her husband Frank (Mr. Freddi) and Marc and I considered her our noble leader and tried to keep up with her. When you feel the overwhelming need to host a Roundup or get roped into it somehow, Freddi Condos will be able to guide you every step of the way as our Wagon Master as she has a lot of first hand experience. And you will have tons of fun! Please give her a call. We could use your enthusiasm, talent or whatever for another great Roundup in the future.

Roundup Masters Freddi and Frank Condos

Co-Roundup Masters Lillian and Marc Trubert

Our technical vice president Emory Stora has outlined the tech sessions in the Tech Report of this Newsletter. Likewise our past non-technical vice president Nancy Pettit has covered the non-tech sessions in her report. Nancy may be stepping down after a wonderful stint as non-tech vice president. She was a fabulous officer will return in the spring as a co-host/Roundup Master at the Yavapines Roundup in Arizona next spring. Put the end of May on your calendars, and we'll see you then. Happy trails!

From Nancy:
WHAT A RALLY! It just doesn't get any better than this. Many thanks to our organizers the Condoses and the Truberts for a job well done. The food was great and the company better. Special thanks, of course, to our talented members who entertained us in our seminars. You can always count on Dorothy Shumway to come up with something useful and pretty. The appliqués were no exception. I even learned to iron!

Audree Rowe was so well prepared and made us all a little more aware of what to look for in the antique world and how to enjoy collecting. Maybe it's time to get rid of some of the "junque" we have been collecting for so long! A special thanks, also, to Doris Garton for her presentation of health issues. She was most informa-tive, and I am sure we all learned something we didn't know (or do) before.

A huge thank you, too, to all the participants in the games tournament led by Dorothy Hooton. Congrats to our winners: Ilse Forsse, Zay Brand, Dorothy Hooton (I don't know when she had time) and to our runners-up: Davell Hays, Amelia Edwards and Betty Brand.

So, keep those games skills honed; we will see you in Prescott, AZ in the spring.

Calling all Volunteers at the
Mariposa California Gold Roundup

Gracias, merci, grazie, dankeschön! for your most able support in making our Roundup special. We could not have accomplished this extravagant event without your expertise, patience and willingness to work and work and work. You are appreciated and we are grateful for your kindness. We wish you all a healthy, joyous and blessed holiday season.
Frank and Freddi Condos - Roundup Host

OUR NEXT ROUNDUP
Prescott Pines Reunion May 29 - June 3, 2002

GMC Western States will be returning, after five years, to Camp Yavapines in Prescott, AZ. This rally will be hosted by Bebe and Nancy Pettit and Mike and Judy Cherry of Prescott. Those attending the Territorial Ramble in May of 1997 will remember the pines, the clear air, the good food and pleasant facilities of Camp Yavapines. The campground hasn't changed much either. They still have gravel roads, semi-level sites, dark nights, lots of stars and the sound of the wind through the pines. Coordination with Camp Yavapines schedule has necessitated slightly later dates than we usually have, but it's a good time of year here in Prescott. If it's warm, we can use the newly redone swimming pool. Plan ahead to join us for the delicious, healthy food, quality entertainment, technical informa-tion and our wonderful Western States camaraderie.

Previous Page

Pictorial

Next Page

Home

NewsLetters