Story of the month:
Our Brother Rats
By Lillian Trubert

The eternal question: how can we keep the little rodents of the planet from taking up residence or vacationing in our GMCs? Signs of their presence seem to upset me far more than it does my pilot if those signs are in the bed, the cupboard or the floor, but even he gets emotional when he finds nibbled wires in the engine, nesting material in the tail pipe, or signs of any take-over under the hood - really emotional on some occasions now that I am thinking about it. Now some of his reactions seem quite funny to me while my reactions are quite proper under the circumstances.

We finally found the perfect solution, but it took us 7 or 8 years to find it. At first I sprinkled Comet cleaner around the food areas. Nothing - no good. Then I read stick cinnamon would not only accomplish the same thing, as the little critters would avoid it, but it would also make your coach smell good - like fresh baked apple pie. This was an out and out lie. Then we heard about the ant powder around each wheel so as to create a poison barrier to getting in the coach in the first place. Somehow our rugged country rodents bypassed this tricky moat-like solution. And then we bought some electronic high frequency sound device you plug in that drives the critters bonkers so they run out of the coach never to return. I guess succeeding generations just get used to the "sound". We are talking big money now - $19.95 a device. Back to the mousetrap. Peanut butter spread on apple pieces worked well but be sure and remove the traps every day. I mean every day. Also for some reason we do not like the role of small game hunters. I got tired of mounting all those little heads on plaques. Where do you hang those things in a contemporary décor?

Well, now for the grand solution. After taking everything into account (our country location, animal lover personalities, reliability and effectiveness of method, and success at-any-cost attitude), we simply spent $20,000 and built a big old RV garage two stories high so we can always convert it to an apartment over a garage where we can live as custodians and rent out the big house if times get tough and the RV repair costs get out of hand. We 'll be warm and snug living above our "Baby" and won't have to be separated or ungarage her.

Of course after we arrived at our grand solution Billie and Duane Simmons arrived back home after a trip to the Midwest with the wonderful news. They had run across a method of ridding the coach of all vermin - a $6 bar of camphor (they say it does not smell) used in barns for pest control. Let's see - $6 or $20,000 ….. which would you choose? At this point I refuse to even try the camphor bar. I don't want to know if it works.

You Are Welcome

We currently have the following members who invite any one traveling in their area for an overnight stay with them in their driveway or equivalent:

1. Betty Gaw and Marilyn Maxwell
Los Osos Rd, Atascadero, CA 93422
(805) 461-0664

2. Marilyn and Bill Harvey
Moonshine Ridge Trail, Parker, CO 80134
(303) 841-6062

3. Mike and Carol Mayo
County Road #1, Berthoud, CO 80513
970-532-3476, "camayo@msn.com"

4. Lee and Ozzie Porter
Shetland CT, Santa Maria, CA 93445
(805) 934-2267

5. Marc and Lillian Trubert
Barcus Circle, Coarsegold, CA 93614
(559) 683-0995 (South of Yosemite Nat. Park)

6. Jerry and Fran Hill
Pina Selva Place, Templeton, CA 93465
(805) 434-1213

7. Vern and Mary Olson
85th Place W., Edmonds, WA 98026
(425) 776-6070

The GMC Western States Inc, chapter of the Family Motor Coach Association, is comprised of GMC Motorhome owners from all fifty states, and the three southwestern Provinces of Canada. The Chapter purpose is to promote the preservation of the GMC Motorhome with a technical program of professional seminars and published information, and to further the mutual association, membership, enjoyment, and common interest of GMC Motorhome owners, their families and friends.
Website:" www.gmcws.org" Billy and Debbie Massey, Web Masters

Claude Brousson, Chapter President
6349 W. Saanich Rd, Saanichton
Victoria, BC, Canada, V8M 1W8
(250) 652-4913,
cbrousson@telus.net
Nancy Pettit, First Vice President
P.O. Box 10982, Prescott, AZ 86304
(520) 445-9432
Emery Stora, Technical Vice President
3128 Vista Sandia, Santa Fe, NM 87501-8526
(505) 989-8157,