By Dallas Jensen

The Art of Telling an Adventure Story

For about three years now I have been writing "The Adventures of Me & My Shadow" adventure stories about my travels in my old GMC Motorhome. Many people tell me they enjoy reading them. This was a surprise to me as I am a mechanic, not a writer. I only wanted to write a travel log to let my children and friends know where I was and what I was doing. Recently it was hinted that I might be asked to hold a seminar on how to write an adventure story. This started me thinking about just what makes my stories interesting to other people and how to pass this technique to them. If you have not read "The Adventures of Me & My Shadow" go to:
www.meandmyshadow.homepage.com.

My story telling began a long time ago to get my kids to go to sleep when they were little. I would lay down in bed with them, turn out the lights and tell them an adventure story about a little girl or boy about the same age as they were. My problem was in making the story too suspenseful. They would be lying there wide awake, and I would be the first to go to sleep. Then they would poke me and say, "What happened then, Dad", and I would wake up and try to remember where the little girl or boy was and what he or she was doing before I fell asleep. So if you are going to write a bedtime story for a child, make it boring so they will fall asleep before you do.

I will say that to write an interesting story you have to enjoy what you are doing; both the adventure and writing about it have to be fun. Just tell it like it is - the good times and the not so good times. In other words, "Don't worry, be happy". Two of my nieces, Susan & Mary Lou, when in grammar school would write interesting letters to their grandmother. What made them interesting were the little details that grown ups leave out, because they believe them to be unimportant. So by all means, fill in all the little details. It's like painting a picture in the mind of the reader with words; they have to visualize what you are saying. The little details provide the colors, you have to believe you can do it and it helps if you are a little bit crazy.

I have heard that crazy people hear little voices that tell them what to do. I have heard these little voices since I was in the first grade in school. Some times they could get me in trouble if I did what they told me to do, but overall they have served me well. So listen to the little voices like I do, and just do what they tell you to do, and you, too, can write an interesting adventure story.

Roundup/Rally Schedule Update

GMC Western States

Fall 2000
Little Diamond RV Park, Newport, Washington
September 10-15, 2000.
Roundup Masters: Bill and Marilyn Harvey

Spring 2001
This roundup is still unscheduled, but there are a couple of good possiblities in either California or Nevada. A Roundup Master is urgently needed.

Fall 2001
Mariposa County Fairgrounds
Mariposa, California
October 8 -15, 2001
Roundup Masters: Frank and Freddi Condos and Marc and Lillian Trubert

GMC International

2000 Fall Convention
Mount Hood Village, Welches, Oregon
September 17-23, 2000

2001 Spring Convention
Destiny Oasis RV Resort
Las Vegas, Nevada
April 1--7, 2001

GMC Pacific Cruisers

Oct 6-8, 2000, "San Dimas Western Days"
San Dimas, CA
Rally Master: Jim & Audry Rowe

Nov 3-5, 2000, "Vendor Craft Fair"
Chula Vista Marine RV Park, CA
Rally Masters: Bob & Raye Lenson
Bill & Mary Newton

We invite other clubs to send us their rally schedules. GMC Western States will be pleased to publish your rally schedules both in the Newsletter and on the Web Page.
Please contact Marc Trubert (909-780-8378) or "
MTrubert@aol.com".

Website

Please pass along any information you would like published as well as suggestions to our webmasters Bill and Debbie Massey at "webmaster@gmcws.org".

You Are Welcome

We currently have the following members who invite any one traveling in their area for an overnight stay with them in their driveway or equivalent:

1. Betty Gaw and Marilyn Maxwell
Los Osos Rd, Atascadero, CA 93422
(805) 461-0664

2. Marilyn and Bill Harvey
Moonshine Ridge Trail, Parker, CO 80134
(303) 841-6062

3. Mike and Carol Mayo
County Road #1, Berthoud, CO 80513
970-532-3476, "camayo@msn.com"

4. Lee and Ozzie Porter
Shetland CT, Santa Maria, CA 93445
(805) 934-2267

5. Marc and Lillian Trubert
Barcus Circle, Coarsegold, CA 93614
(559) 683-0995 (South of Yosemite Nat. Park)

6. Jerry and Fran Hill
Pina Selva Place, Templeton, CA 93465
(805) 434-1213

7. Vern and Mary Olson
85th Place W., Edmonds, WA 98026
(425) 776-6070

The GMC Western States Inc, chapter of the Family Motor Coach Association, is comprised of GMC Motorhome owners from all fifty states, and the three southwestern Provinces of Canada. The Chapter purpose is to promote the preservation of the GMC Motorhome with a technical program of professional seminars and published information, and to further the mutual association, membership, enjoyment, and common interest of GMC Motorhome owners, their families and friends.
Website:" www.gmcws.org" Billy and Debbie Massey, Web Masters

Claude Brousson, Chapter President
6349 W. Saanich Rd, Saanichton
Victoria, BC, Canada, V8M 1W8
(250) 652-4913,
cbrousson@telus.net
Nancy Pettit, First Vice President
P.O. Box 10982, Prescott, AZ 86304
(520) 445-9432
Chuck Aulgur, Technical Vice President
9805 Ogram Dr., La Mesa, CA 91941
(619) 465-9875,